Author Topic: MacOs compatibility  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Maxwell487

• VIP
    • View Profile
MacOs compatibility
« on: January 27, 2024, 13:52:18 »
I run Mojave OS on my iMac. I have downloaded both Ancestris 11 and 12 for MacOs and I can't get either one to open. I read a topic here about java being important to this software being able to run on Macs. If so what old versions of Ancestris will work or alternatively which version of Java do I need. I'm not an expert on Mac software configuration so keep it simple! Thank you.

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
Re: MacOs compatibility
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 14:06:55 »
You have to install Jave on your Mac.
Ancestris works from Java 8 to Java 21 (Java 17 is recommended).
After you should be able to run Ancestris.

The documentation step by step is here : https://docs.ancestris.org/books/user-guide/page/step-by-step-installation-on-macos

Zurga

Offline Maxwell487

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 13:31:23 »
Thanks for your reply Zurga, Ancestris now works. I have an iMac and I started with Java 21 but it did not work. i found out on Youtube how to remove it using Terminal. I then installed 17 according to your documentation link and all is now well. Many thanks.   

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
Re : MacOs compatibility
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 13:36:36 »
Good news.

I hope the software will fill your needs.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have others questions.

Zurga

Offline gprovost

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 12:54:23 »
Hello,

I am trying to run Ancestris 12 on Sonoma 14.4.1 but with java installed using sdkman (https://sdkman.io/) - as a java developper I often need to switch the java version

Running java -version gives
openjdk version "17.0.11" 2024-04-16 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Corretto-17.0.11.9.1 (build 17.0.11+9-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Corretto-17.0.11.9.1 (build 17.0.11+9-LTS, mixed mode, sharing)

Java SDK is available at the following location : ${SDKMAN_DIR}/candidates/java/current

When I start Ancestris I get the error message

JAVA is missing or not found. Ancestris requires JAVA.

Please install JAVA version 8, 11 or 17. Feel free to follow the Ancestris instructions in the online

-> I tried to export the variable jdkhome before starting the App but same error message ?
-> I tried to define a local config file under .ancestris/trunk/etc but same error message

Any idea ?

Regards

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 13:32:42 »
Could you provide the line in "ancestris.conf" in ".ancestris/trunk/etc" for the jdkhome variable ?

Zurga

Offline gprovost

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 14:09:31 »
there is no such folder created

in packege content : #jdkhome="/path/to/jdk"
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 14:35:29 by gprovost »

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 14:52:05 »
So, change the line to indicate your java home.

Alternatively, you can launch Ancestris with "-jdkhome" parameter and indicate the path to your Java installation.
For example : ancestris -jdkhome ${SDKMAN_DIR}/candidates/java/current

Zurga

Offline gprovost

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:49:28 »
running the following command

open /Applications/Ancestris.app --args -jdkhome="${SDKMAN_DIR}/candidates/java/current"

open /Applications/Ancestris.app --args --jdkhome="${SDKMAN_DIR}/candidates/java/current"
gives the same error message

delete Ancestris12 and re-install Ancestris11 -> same error message
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:03:45 by gprovost »

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:38:22 »
Sorry, I'm not familiar with MacOS commands.
Are you sure for the "=" sign ?
Our recommandation is to put "Contents/Home" at the end of the path.
Could you try ?

Could you open a console and launch the ancestris script through the console with the -jdkhome parameter ?

Zurga

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Généalogie personnelle et logiciel gratuit Ancestris
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:32:40 »
Hi,

On MacOS, Ancestris.app is not a binary file that accepts command line parameters. So what you are trying to do will not work, and using "=" will not work either anyway. MacOS command lines are the same as Linux.

To launch Ancestris with a specific java pah, change the jdkhome variable in the user settings folder.
The file is in /Users/<yourname>/Library/Application Support/ancestris/trunk/etc/ancestris.conf.
To see the Library folder in the Finder, you need to press Command+J. It is hidden by default.

In the ancestris.conf file, change the jdkhome variable removing the # sign in front of the line.

See the doc here: https://docs.ancestris.org/books/user-guide/page/java-installation#bkmrk-cas-de-macos

Cheers,
Frederic

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:39:08 by FredericL »

Offline gprovost

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 12:42:36 »
Hello Frédéric

The file is in /Users/<yourname>/Library/Application Support/ancestris/trunk/etc/ancestris.conf.
-> this folder does not exist

but even If I create the folder "/Users/gprovost/Library/Application Support/ancestris/trunk/etc/ancestris.conf" and edit the conf files as follow : jdkhome="${SDKMAN_DIR}/candidates/java/current"
I still get the error message

java -version                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 ─╯
openjdk version "17.0.11" 2024-04-16 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Corretto-17.0.11.9.1 (build 17.0.11+9-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Corretto-17.0.11.9.1 (build 17.0.11+9-LTS, mixed mode, sharing)

Is there a log file somewhere ?

Regards

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 13:26:06 »
The log file should be in : /Users/gprovost/Library/Application Support/ancestris/trunk/var/log

I think the main trouble is the ${SDKMAN_DIR} which is not understood or translated by Netbeans program.
Ancestris relies on Netbeans (https://netbeans.apache.org/front/main/index.html )
Perhaps you can try to put the absolute path.
Even if you need to change Java version for your job, you don't needs to change of Java version for Ancestris.

Zurga

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Généalogie personnelle et logiciel gratuit Ancestris
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 13:28:08 »
java -version gives you the output of the default java version, which obviously is 17. Changing the jdkhome variable in ancestris.conf file has no impact on your default java installation which will remain 17 until you uninstall and reinstall another one. This is independent from Ancestris.

In your ancestris.conf file in the user folder, you need to explicit ${SDKMAN_DIR} with the absolute real path. Ancestris does not know what ${SDKMAN_DIR} means.

Regards,
Frederic