Author Topic: attachments  (Read 1927 times)

Offline kmort

• VIP
    • View Profile
attachments
« on: January 13, 2024, 19:25:03 »
I am trying to add attachments to each person in my tree (newspaper articles, legal documents, etc) that pertain to them. I must be adding attachments incorrectly though because the attachments seem to be more "global" to the tree in nature, and not associated directly with the person in the tree. Am i doing something incorrectly? How should I add attachments for specific people?

Further, once attachments are added, how are they stored? are they embeded into the .ged file (which would allow me to get rid of them on my computer file system and save space) or just linked from the .ged file to the actual file on the file system (which could be really problematic if files get moved)?

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
ReĀ : attachments
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 22:41:20 »
I am trying to add attachments to each person in my tree (newspaper articles, legal documents, etc) that pertain to them. I must be adding attachments incorrectly though because the attachments seem to be more "global" to the tree in nature, and not associated directly with the person in the tree. Am i doing something incorrectly? How should I add attachments for specific people?
If you create objects entities, they are not related to an individual.
Link them to the individual you want.
Further, once attachments are added, how are they stored? are they embeded into the .ged file (which would allow me to get rid of them on my computer file system and save space) or just linked from the .ged file to the actual file on the file system (which could be really problematic if files get moved)?
The GEDCOM file is a text file.
There is no attachments embedded in it.
Ancestris uses the GEDCOM format to persists the data.
So, the attachments are just linked to the place where they are on your computer.
Don't move them.

Zurga