Author Topic: Julian Calendar  (Read 2970 times)

Offline thebookbloke

• VIP
    • View Profile
Julian Calendar
« on: September 22, 2023, 09:56:13 »
Hello

I'm trialling Ancestris to see if it could replace my main genealogy software on my Mac. I have a date problem.

The UK used the Julian calendar until 1752 and the new year began on 25 March. To bring the UK calendar in line with Europe they removed several days from the calendar. One day was Wednesday 2 Sep 1752 and the next was Thursday 14 Sep 1752.

The problem is two-fold:

1. A Julian date recorded as, for example, 3 May 1725, would be 14 May 1725 in the Gregorian calendar. I want to record it as written yet indicate it as a Julian date?

2. Much more important. Dates between 1 Jan and 25 March were often recorded as, for example, 2 Feb 1723/24. Most software that I've used allow this way of writing the date but Ancestris declares it an invalid date. How should I record such dates?

Hope that makes sense.

Best

Mick Reed

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
Re: Julian Calendar
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 13:13:26 »
Thank you to try Ancestris.

1) Just click on the calendar icon before the date, you could choose Julian, Gregorian, Hebrew or French Revolution. These four calendars are the ones defined in the GEDCOM norm.

2) You can't. This is a limitation in Ancestris, the dual year is not allowed. You can eventually use the GEDCOM editor to record a sub-tag PHRASE and put the dual year value in it. But the software won't be able to use it properly.

Zurga

Offline thebookbloke

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Julian Calendar
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 21:55:17 »
Thanks, Zurga.

I can get round this, probably, by entering the date on a form acceptable to Ancestris and just record the original yext in a note.

Best

Mick