Author Topic: Add property not in the list - but should be  (Read 3182 times)

Offline AZisHot

• VIP
    • View Profile
Add property not in the list - but should be
« on: July 01, 2023, 23:17:06 »
Great program, long learning curve...

So I want to add a "field" or "tag" or "property" to an individual just like the ones included in the program (adop, chra, alia, etc....). I'm not well versed in GEDCOM standards, but you would think that some kind of tracking of MEDICAL information would really, really, be useful. But I see no entry method for such data. Some online searching comes up with "MDCL" as a "property" that can be used for medical information - but not natively in Ancestris.
Yes, I can see the "non-standard" way to add a "property" - using the "_" character, so "_MDCL" is possible to be added. Of course the information then added is going to be somewhat disorganized without standardized sub-catergories within the _MDCL tag (date, condition, results, etc.).
So is there a GEDCOM standard for this that is just not implemented into Ancestris? I hate to start entering data into fields which could be stripped away later, or when import/exporting to other programs.
Future release inclusion?

Online Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
Re: Add property not in the list - but should be
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 23:34:10 »
The GEDCOM specifications are here : https://gedcom.io/specs/
Please, explain me where in theses 5.5 or 5.5.1 or even 7.0 you find your "MDCL" tag.

There is no such a thing as medical information in the standard
By the way, this is indicated as non-standard : https://www.ged-gen.com/help/hlpoptprogram-tabged.html
So, Ancestris doesn't have it.
Add an event with type "Medical information" if you really want to keep such information.

Ancestris will have a MDCL tag when it will be in the standard.

Zurga

Offline mother10

• Global Moderator
  • Never give up trying to get what you really want!
    • View Profile
    • Motherware
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 08:04:37 »
Hi,

As Zurga said, it is not in the Gedcom standard yet.
What you could do are 2 things:

1:
Go to the forum of the group that is working on the latest Gedcom standard version, and in their forum ask to have this tag added.
You can find it here:
https://gedcom.io/community/

2:
Until the tag is added to Gedcom (if this group will think it will be) you could add the information like this
Add a Note tag, on the first line add MDCL. Just that, only those 4 characters.
On the next lines you can add the information, preceded by, for instance, DATE: , or COND: , or RSLT: etcetera.

That way other programs will not skip the info, they will just process it as any other note.

In Ancestris you can then create a report, with just this info, see the TODO report. You would use MDCL instead of TODO.

If that tag will ever be added, you can add the info from your notes into that tags sub-tags, by hand.

HTH

Regards,
Mother10
Vergeet niet naar de originele  Ancestris hoofdpagina te gaan, en heel belangrijk: Lees de  Documentatie !!!

Offline Dr Roger Bishop

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 17:25:03 »
I have used the property CAUS (e.g. "Cardiac insufficiency") as cause of DEAT together with a NOTE giving more information. However, this may be a misinterpretation of CAUS from my side, since I see that it is also a property available under BIRT and CREM!

Offline mother10

• Global Moderator
  • Never give up trying to get what you really want!
    • View Profile
    • Motherware
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 17:56:12 »
Look here:
Gedcom 5.5:
https://edge.fscdn.org/assets/img/documents/gedcom55-82e1509bd8dbe7477e3b500e4f62c240.pdf
page 29. There you see the EVENT DETAIL, CAUS is part of that.

Now the EVENT DETAIL is part of a lot of things as you can see in that specification. Among others:
BIRT, DEAT, ADOP, BAPM and many more. (page 31, but on many other pages too)

So that means CAUS can be used for many events. You use it for cause of death, but it could have many other meanings.

CAUS of adoption could be the death of a brother or sister, and another brother or sister adopting their children.

So in my opinion it is correctly used.

Page 38 says:
CAUSE_OF_EVENT:={Size=1:90} Used in special cases to record the reasons which precipitated an event. Normally this will be used subordinate to a death event to show cause of death, such as might be listed on a death certificate.

So it can contain 90 characters.

The CAUS itself cannot have a NOTE, but the EVENT DETAIL in which it resides, can. (page 29)

Same for Gedcom 7.0.5:
https://webtrees.net/downloads/gedcom-7-0-5.pdf
(different pages, so you would have to look it up there)

HTH

Regards,
Mother10
Vergeet niet naar de originele  Ancestris hoofdpagina te gaan, en heel belangrijk: Lees de  Documentatie !!!