Author Topic: [SOLVED] 64-bit Version Can't Find Java  (Read 3175 times)

Offline paulp575

• VIP
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] 64-bit Version Can't Find Java
« on: July 01, 2023, 03:45:32 »
Give us a summary of the bug: Currently starting ancestris by using the shortcut that starts with ancestris.exe. I saw an option to use a 64-bit version of the program. When I click on "ancestris64.exe" I get the following error: Can not find Java 1.8 or higher".

I have ancestris installed in D:\Ancestris v11 and the ancestris.exe is located in folder D:\Ancestris v11\bin.
I have Java installed in D:\Java 8 (which has several sub-folders). According to the Java control panel I have Java version 8 Update 371 (build 1.8.0_371-b11 installed.

Which Operating System? : Windows 7 64-bit Pro with SP1 installed

Which version of Ancestris? : The "Help - About" screen displays the following:Ancestris version:
Java:  1.8.0_371-b11 - D:\Java 8
System:  Windows 7 - 6.1 - Paul
User directory  C:\Users\Paul\.ancestris\11

What are the windows opened on your Ancestris application? : NA

This bug is related to the application itself or a plugin? : Application itself

This bug appeared right after an update (you didn't get it before, and right now, you have it) : Has always been here.

Which version of the module is concerned (check the "Help - About" dialog box) : See above

What is the process that makes the bug to appear (the more details  you can give, the better it is) : When I click on ancestris64.exe the error appears before anything happens.

The program seems to be working fine otherwise.

Thanks,

Paul

« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 06:40:14 by paulp575 »

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
Re: 64-bit Version Can't Find Java
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 07:46:56 »
Please, could you open à command line in your computer (typically "cmd.exe") and type :
java -version

At the third line you should see if you have a 32b or a 64b version installed.
Typically a 64b have "64-Bit Server" in it.

Zurga

Offline paulp575

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: 64-bit Version Can't Find Java
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 06:39:47 »
Don't see anything close to that.

Did some checking and downloaded the latest java installation file "jre-8u371-windows-x64.exe".
I had previously downloaded "jre-8u371-windows-i586.exe" which I thought was the 64-bit installation file, but I guess it wasn't!

So now it works clicking on ancestris64.exe

Thanks for helping me to see the problem.