Author Topic: Duplicate Ancestors  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Mockingbird

• VIP
    • View Profile
Duplicate Ancestors
« on: January 02, 2023, 03:49:23 »
My parents are third cousins, so I have repeated ancestors.  I can't figure out how to put in my great-great-great grandfather Otto & his wife twice into the family tree in any way except by creating a new person, or pretending either Paul or Homer had no parents & no ancestors.  When I made two Ottos and tried to use the tool to merge them, it just deleted the other from my maternal family tree, making my g.g.grandfather Paul fatherless again.  Is there a way to merge the two people into one entry, or rather, make the same entry show up in two places? 

I know this is going to be a problem again a few more generations up, b/c I think they might also be sixth or seventh cousins of each other.  It will be both arduous and misleading if I have to put in all the information multiple times, and create multiple ID numbers for the same person.
Thanks!

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
Re : Duplicate Ancestors
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 11:42:02 »
The normal way to do it is to add a child to the existing family.
The tree will display the individuals twice, but you have only one family in your genealogy.

Zurga

Offline Mockingbird

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Duplicate Ancestors
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 04:16:25 »
Thanks for the reply, though I'm afraid it doesn't make sense to me!  Can you be more specific?  If Otto is I00030, is there a way for him to show up twice as I00030?  At the moment, I don't see any way to do that: I can only see how to make new individuals, and no way to merge them to show that the same person is showing up twice.
I appreciate the help.

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
Re : Duplicate Ancestors
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 10:17:04 »
If Otto is twice your ancestor, this means that he has 2 childs who are your ancestors.
Go to Otto information, right click on Child button and Add the second child or link the second child if it already exists.

You can also merge if you have created 2 Otto and his wife.
Merge Otto, merge the wife and merge the family.

Zurga