Author Topic: Notes Attached to Place  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Doug Halsema

• VIP
    • View Profile
Notes Attached to Place
« on: May 11, 2022, 13:22:51 »
Hello: I'm not sure, but I seem to have a series of notes attached to a particular place, so when I give a place of birth, for example, a series of about 8 notes appears every time I use that place for another person or another event.  Consequently, The same notes appear on different individuals about 646 times which is every time I use that place. I've gone through the places list and instructions, but I just can't figure this out. I don't see notes attached anywhere in the list of places.  I think I did this when I upgraded to GEDCOM 5.5.1 last month.  Any ideas?

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
Re: Notes Attached to Place
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 13:49:10 »
Places are not an entity in GEDCOM structure.
Each time you use a Place, you duplicate this place.
So you duplicate the notes if you use embedded notes.
You can limit the duplication by using reference notes.
You create NOTE Entities for theses notes and you attach theses notes to the place.

Zurga

Offline Doug Halsema

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 00:58:33 »
Thank you. Any ideas on how I can clean up the mess I made? In one instance I have the same several notes repeated 646 times. I attached an example of that.

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 07:02:04 »
Your notes are already entities linked to the place.
So no other ideas than remove manually exceeding notes.

Zurga

Offline Doug Halsema

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 23:38:55 »
OK. Thank you. I'll use a text editor to clean it up. And I will go back and read the documentation on reference notes vs embedded notes. I think what I did was when I upgraded the 25 year old GEDCOM file to 5.5.1, one of the main differences was Places. When I tried to change Places to match the new standard, Ancestris asked me if I wanted to also change all 646 times that Place was used. I said yes, and YES! It did make them all the same. It's a good tool. I was not taking any embedded notes into consideration. I think I also did that for a few other Place names, so I'll have to go back through the file and see if I can spot them. Thank you for your assistance.

Offline Doug Halsema

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 18:06:48 »
Thank you. I understand the issue now. I was able to clean the GEDCOM file with Notepad++ and it's multi-line editor plugin.