Author Topic: Third-party GEDCOM import + correction + export  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Pollux

• VIP
    • View Profile
Third-party GEDCOM import + correction + export
« on: November 28, 2021, 06:14:59 »
A current problem that I've had several times!
I am receiving a GEDCOM from the US or another country.
When I look at the content, I almost always notice (many!) Serious errors that I want to correct 'comprehensively'.
However, this is only possible to some extent pleasantly if I import the GEDCOM to my data and then merge the duplicates person by person.
* +++

My problem afterwards is that I cannot only export and send back all (received and corrected) data as GEDCOM on CLICK.

Maybe it's just my 'problem'?
It would have to be described in more detail, however. *

Pollux
He who cries out for tolerance the loudest, exercises it the least himself!

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Généalogie personnelle et logiciel gratuit Ancestris
Re: Third-party GEDCOM import + correction + export
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 08:25:29 »
Hi Pollux,

I understand that you want to export only the people you have imported, so you need to "extract" only the imported people out of your overall Gedcom.

If that is indeed what you try to achieve, you have several solutions :

a- the people you want ot extract belong to a tree branch in the Dynamic tree
b- the people you want ot extract correspond to a search criteria in the Advanced search
c- the people you want ot extract are anywhere in your gedcom file

In the case of a or b, you can show these people in the corresponding views, and then use the "Menu/File/SaveAs" function to extract them to another Gedcom file.

In the case of c, you would have to mark these people first, using "Menu/Edit/Mark special individuals", and then extract them using same "Menu/File/SaveAs" function.
To mark these people, either it can be done with several "Advanced search" that you mark each one after the other, or in the worst case scenario, you would have to mark all individuals one by one using the Gedcom Editor.
In the special case where you import all these persons from another specific Gedcom, it is more appropriate to mark these people before doing the concatenation of the external Gedcom file with yours.

So overall, my recommandation would be the following:
1- Open the external Gedcom file as a normal file within Ancestris (say it is called "NewGedcom.ged")
2- Mark all the people with a special Tag (say _IMPORTED for example adding a value of "Import from xxx date xx/xx/xxxx for instance). To do that, select them all using the Advanced Search view, and mark them using "Menu/Edit/Mark" choosing the Advanced Search option". https://docs.ancestris.org/books/user-guide/page/mark-special-individuals
3- Close this NewGedcom.ged
4- Open you Genealogy Gedcom (say it is called "MyGedcom.ged")
5- Merge your genealogy with the new one using "Menu/File/Merge genealogies" and indicating "MyGedcom.ged" as first file, "NewGedcom.ged" as the second file and "MyNewGedcom.ged. as the resulting file (names are illustrative)
6- Do the manual fixing and removal of duplicates, keeping the "_IMPORTED" special tag you created.
7- Once done, go to "Menu/Advanced Search" to select all indifiduals with the "_IMPORTED" tag with the value containing the date xx/xx/xxx specified above for instance) and leave this Advanced Search view open
8- Go to Menu/File/SaveAs and in the partial options, select View and click the check box "Advanced search". Indicate another Gedcom name, says "Corrected_New_Gedcom.ged". This will create anoher gedcom file with only the people you had imported before. Example: https://docs.ancestris.org/books/user-guide/page/save-as#bkmrk-exemple

I hope that answers your question.

Best regards,
Frederic

« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 08:31:29 by FredericL »

Offline Pollux

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re : Third-party GEDCOM import + correction + export
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 08:50:29 »
Moin Frederic,
Thank you for your detailed answer!
I backed it up (for now) because I don't (yet!) Work with Ancestris.
It's 'just' my 'problem', but it happens more often!
The data include (mostly) the entire genealogy of a descendant of emigrants, which was (often carelessly) clicked together on the Internet.
This is one of the reasons why this data is (partly) very incorrect.
I am currently again merging such data with mine, correcting and completing it.
The imported data have the 'attribute' source = name / description. So they are already marked ...

Regards,
Dieter
He who cries out for tolerance the loudest, exercises it the least himself!

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Généalogie personnelle et logiciel gratuit Ancestris
Re : Third-party GEDCOM import + correction + export
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 09:05:16 »
OK Pollux,

Have a good day.

Frederic