Author Topic: How do I add Aliases or Multiple Names for a single person?  (Read 4003 times)

Offline montreal_kogan

• VIP
    • View Profile
Hello!

I am researching my paternal family genealogy, which is all Jewish from eastern Europe. Basically every member of my family has at least 2 "full names," one name used in civil situations and one a Hebrew name (example: Joseph David Kogan & his Hebrew name that translates to Yosef son of BenTzion the Cohen). In addition to those names, it's also very common for given names and surnames to have multiple spelling variations, or even for a surname to have 2 separate versions, one that had belonged to the family and a second that was required by the country where they lived (example: Fisher and Fiseras in Lithuania).

So here's my question! :-D Is there a field where I can assign multiple names (first, middle, and last) to an individual? I found the "Details of names" window that let me assign a middle name and a nickname, but not more than one and not additional surnames. Or is the best thing to do just to add all those name variations in the Notes field?

Thank you in advance!
Chloe

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Généalogie personnelle et logiciel gratuit Ancestris
Re: How do I add Aliases or Multiple Names for a single person?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 06:13:04 »
Hi Chloe,

You would have to use the Gedcom editor for multiple names. You can add as many NAME tags as you want. Cygnus only uses the first one.
The Aries editor lets you also add multiple names in the tab "Other names".

You can change the display template of people in the dynamic tree to have more than one name tage appea (see blueprints for that in the documentation).

Best regards,
Frederic

Offline montreal_kogan

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: How do I add Aliases or Multiple Names for a single person?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 01:21:55 »
Thank you immensely, Frederic! You solved this completely for me. I'm so excited now that I understand how to do it!