Author Topic: Child out of Wedlock by parents with other spouses  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Paul19804

• VIP
    • View Profile
Child out of Wedlock by parents with other spouses
« on: November 24, 2020, 22:30:42 »
I'm at a loss.  There exists a child.  There is a man who has a wife and children.  There is a woman who has a husband and children.

The child is the son of this man who is married to a woman who is not the child's mother.  The child is the son of the woman who is married to man who is not the child's father.

I have attempted to chart this by adding a son to the man.  Then, on the son's profile, "Detach from the family mother..."; then, "Select another mother from the genealogy.."  The result is the man's wife is replaced with the child's mother, retaining all the Family attributes and she becomes mother of all his existing children.  That didn't work.

Graphically, I would draw a dotted line between the man and woman, and hang a child on it.... See the attachment.  The people in this tree snippet DID NOT have a child.  It's just an example.

How do I represent this relationship (you can't really call it a "family") in the Gedcom using Ancestris?

Thank you.
Paul

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
Re: Child out of Wedlock by parents with other spouses
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 22:57:45 »
Ancestris is based on GEDCOM.
GEDCOM knows only 2 entities to define individuals and theirs relationships :
- INDI for the individuals
- FAM for any relation which will define a filiation.

So, just create a FAM entity to link the father and the mother of the child.
FAM is a family cells but this doesn't imply that this FAM is a real family.
Just two individuals having a child together.

Zurga
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 22:59:35 by Zurga »

Offline Paul19804

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Child out of Wedlock by parents with other spouses
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 17:43:52 »
Thank you, Zurga, for your response.  Another situation you have resolved for me.
I'm still new at that and wasn't aware of the concept of a "Global" add; all my entries have been "relative", so to speak, e.g., "Add a son", "add a daughter", etc. 
Everything worked out well.
Should be some way to give you a "BZ" or "Thumbs Up" for your guidance.
Thanks, again!
Paul

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
ReĀ : Child out of Wedlock by parents with other spouses
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 18:07:01 »
With Cygnus Editor, a right-click on a button will display a context menu with options to add children from another spouse.

Zurga