Author Topic: Updating Ancestris  (Read 5201 times)

Offline mde

• VIP
    • View Profile
Updating Ancestris
« on: January 04, 2020, 15:38:12 »
I have version 0.9 installed. I choose update and it seemed to complete successfully but when i close and reopen it still show 0.9 not 10.0 ...

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
Re : Updating Ancestris
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 20:15:15 »
The v10 is a new software.
You have to download it and install from scratch :
https://www.ancestris.org/index.html

Zurga

Offline mde

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Updating Ancestris
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 07:32:56 »
I go to the download page and try and select Linux but nothing responds, not even the 'here' ...

I try using the Package Manager and this says that the latest version is 0.9 not 10.0. It doesn't seem to have been updated officially with Linux.

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 09:44:21 »

Offline mde

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 17:51:44 »
I downloaded that and there are just a load of files sitting there. I can see bin and exe ... I am looking for Linux ...

You really need to get Ancestris into the Linux repository. If you don't anyone but experts will just give up. Most people will move on to another program rather than ask on here what to do ... When it is in the repository you just click and it is installed. It used to be there and I don't know why it is gone ...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 18:26:50 by mde »

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 22:51:03 »
In the "bin" directory, there is a file with no extension named "ancestris".
Launch this script.

Zurga

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Re : Updating Ancestris
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 09:04:37 »
You really need to get Ancestris into the Linux repository. If you don't anyone but experts will just give up. Most people will move on to another program rather than ask on here what to do ... When it is in the repository you just click and it is installed. It used to be there and I don't know why it is gone ...
It doesn't work like that for 'official' packages, these are decided upon by the particular distribution and I don't think you could reasonably expect the Ancestris team to provide and maintain a range of packages for the many Linux distributions. Remember they're doing it for free! As every Linux distro's website will tell you, if you want a particular package in their repo, you'll have to learn how to do that yourself or if you just want the program for yourself probably have to learn how to build it from source. At least you don't have to build Ancestris or add a PPA, you just have to download it and read the instructions.

With regard to starting the program, the instructions for the 'Daily Version' can be found by following the 'how to install' link from the home page. Here's the page: https://en.ancestris.org/index.php?title=Installation

Hope that clears things up a bit and that you can get on with using the program :D

Offline mde

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 10:34:12 »
Ancestris was definitely listed in the repository when I first added it a couple of years ago. It is a shame it is not there any longer. It is a very easy way to find programs.

I will see how far I get with the instructions ...

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 10:35:55 »
Thanks Paul, this is exactly the point.

By the way, we hope that the v10 will be put on repositories with the help of the community, but this version is actually not an official release.
In few weeks, I hope, we will be able to put the v10 as an official release and then ask the community to help us to fill the repositories for most used distributions.

Zurga

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 11:56:43 »
In few weeks, I hope, we will be able to put the v10 as an official release and then ask the community to help us to fill the repositories for most used distributions.
Good, that's sure to bring in more users!