Author Topic: Usability suggestions: Aries Editor  (Read 10133 times)

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
Usability suggestions: Aries Editor
« on: October 07, 2019, 10:08:27 »
Just a couple of ideas which might improve things. I appreciate that some of these will depend on how you use Ancestris for example on a small screen laptop, a widescreen monitor, with floating windows or tabs, which appearance you use etc etc.

• The word 'Edit' at top left of the tab is not needed (it's quite confusing if you have someone named Edith too!). I think it would be better if the name was in a slightly larger font with more space above and below.
  • When clicking on an OCCU event in the list, the occupation field which appears to the right is too close to the top of the tab (seem to be the same whichever 'Appearance' option is selected)
  • It would be helpful to include marriage(s) in the individual's event list. I understand that this is a 'shared event' (and it's visible on the spouses and children tab) but it would improve usability IMHO
  • The text that appears in the last column on the 'Spouse(s) & Child(ren)' tab should really read 'Marriage...' rather than 'Wedding...'
  • The 'Spouse(s) & Child(ren)' tab could be renamed to 'Spouses & Children' - if there are none or just one it doesn't matter, it just looks better (IMHO again!)
  • Some individuals with two given names have a comma displayed after their names while others do not. People with one or three given names do not seem to have a comma at the end. (maybe a subtle bug or bad data at import?)
  • The lock icon at top right is jammed against the edge of the frame, the lower lock and associate icons are up against the top of the tab and neither lock icon has a tooltip to explain what it does

Hope that helps?!

Paul

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Généalogie personnelle et logiciel gratuit Ancestris
Re: Usability suggestions: Aries Editor
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 21:41:42 »
Paul,
First suggestion done. The title is improved. You're right. Much better now.
Will look at the rest tomorrow.
Rgds

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 21:52:23 »
Thank you. It gets better every day :D :D

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 07:44:16 »
Definitely better but may I suggest further improvement?

There's no need for the INDI number in the title as it is visible just below to the right.
I don't think there's any need to the birth/death symbols here; it's obvious what something like (1850-1920) means and it prevents a collection of symbols like the one in the attached screenshot when dates aren't known. In such cases you'd end up with ( - ) or (1750 - ) or ( - 1960) which is clearer IMHO
Should the font be a little bit bigger?

Much better anyway :D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:16:18 by Paul »

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re : Usability suggestions: Aries Editor
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 12:24:27 »
Improvements will be available tomorrow !

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 12:29:16 »
Great, I'll look forward to this. Ancestris is very useable and now my first choice genealogy program - thanks to you and the team.  :)

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 13:16:56 »
There's another slight problem I've noticed with Aries, although it could be related to the app as a whole. If I have views of say, the entities table and Aries side-by side, dragging the vertical window divider is incredibly slow (and the mouse cursor often 'loses it's grip' and I have to start dragging again). Exactly the same issue happens when trying to adjust the column widths in Aries' multimedia tab.

Adjusting column widths in the entities table doesn't suffer from this problem.

Cheers

Paul

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 17:38:42 »
For me dragging the vertical divider is not slow and does not loose its grip. Not sure what this could be related to...

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 18:41:06 »
Regarding these:
- When clicking on an OCCU event in the list, the occupation field which appears to the right is too close to the top of the tab (seem to be the same whichever 'Appearance' option is selected)
   ==> Fixed.
- It would be helpful to include marriage(s) in the individual's event list. I understand that this is a 'shared event' (and it's visible on the spouses and children tab) but it would improve usability IMHO
   ==> Not possible. This is what Cygnus is doing but doint it in Aries is a whole change in the structure of the information.
- The text that appears in the last column on the 'Spouse(s) & Child(ren)' tab should really read 'Marriage...' rather than 'Wedding...'
   ==> Modified.
- The 'Spouse(s) & Child(ren)' tab could be renamed to 'Spouses & Children' - if there are none or just one it doesn't matter, it just looks better (IMHO again!)
   ==> Modified.
- Some individuals with two given names have a comma displayed after their names while others do not. People with one or three given names do not seem to have a comma at the end. (maybe a subtle bug or bad data at import?)
   ==> ??? I do not know what this is. 
- The lock icon at top right is jammed against the edge of the frame, the lower lock and associate icons are up against the top of the tab and neither lock icon has a tooltip to explain what it does
   ==> Fixed.

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 18:49:07 »
Awesome as usual :D

I'll try to narrow down the problem with resizing window/column headings.

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 19:02:05 »
OK, both dragging issues seem to be related to the number of items in the Gallery tab; no items resize speed is fine, few items slower, 10+ items incredibly slow. Maybe they are being re-read each time??

EDIT: If I have the Events or Parents&Siblings tabs selected (for example) there is no issue with resizing the window. It's definitely confined to the Gallery tab.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 19:04:02 by Paul »

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 19:54:27 »
Did the tab title 'Parents & Siblings' change - mine says Parents & Sibling now.

And how come the 'Spouses & Children' and 'Alias' tabs don't have a little icon like the others :)

(Actually 'Alias' should probably read 'Aliases')

EDIT: 'Other names' should be 'Other Names' and also needs an icon ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 19:58:40 by Paul »

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 21:59:26 »
OK : fixed "aliases" and icons.

Sibling did not change. Shoud it be sibling or siblings ?

Regarding slow Galery, don't know yet.

Best.

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 22:13:18 »
Siblings :D

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile