Author Topic: Usability suggestions: Aries Editor  (Read 10145 times)

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Usability suggestions: Aries Editor
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 07:31:29 »
Downloaded update but still says 'Parents & Sibling' rather than siblings. Maybe you changed it after committing other changes...?

The INDI name, the lock icons, the tab icons and the correct plurals are all great - thanks!

The divider-dragging issue only happens when the gallery tab is open; if I switch to 'Events' for example (for the same person) the dragging is normal.

EDIT: Maybe I'm missing this but is there some way to switch directly to a person's spouse within Aries?

In the Spouses&Children tab I can double-click to edit the family or double click on a child to open an editor window for them but there doesn't seem to be a way to switch the view to a spouse (other than edit family and then choose the little edit button in the mother or father box).

Maybe a right-click context menu with 'switch to this person' would do it, allowing users to switch to a spouse or child without opening another window?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:42:01 by Paul »

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 08:33:34 »
More with regard to the Gallery tab:

Switching to that tab can be very slow - where there are say 5 or 6 multimedia objects it can take almost 2 seconds for the tab to become active after clicking its title.

Just a thought, is it maybe that the generation of thumbnails in the table is being done on the fly? That might explain the delay as some of my indis have several large images attached.TBH I don't find the thumbnails that useful as they are often too small to determine the actual content of the image (and there could be other ways to denote the favourite image).

EDIT: Just noticed something else... I have Aries open with entities table and dynamic tree window next to it. If I have the Gallery tab open it is also very slow to switch between the tabs of the other two windows i.e. the gallery tab is affecting the other windows. Hope I've explained that ok -  see attached!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:50:37 by Paul »

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Généalogie personnelle et logiciel gratuit Ancestris
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 23:19:03 »
Gallery : I could also observe that the sliding tab gets slow when picture sizes are large. When there are small, it is ok. You are right : the code scales down the original pictures when the table is updated. Not sure it is optimal. The fix is a bit complex to do. I hope you can live without it for the moment... :-).

Switching to spouse: the most direct way you have is the right-click (on the aries editor somewhere between sex menu list and sosa number: Navigate to > Spouse,  or else you can use the navigator view.

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 07:31:19 »
I hope you can live without it for the moment... :-).
Certainly, it's not that important.

Thumbnails could be generated and stored with the same filename in a ./thumbnails folder whenever a new media object is added. It would be an order of magnitude quicker to load them rather than generating them from possibly large files on the fly. But I do wonder if it's worth having the tiny icons in the list at all :D

Switching to spouse: the most direct way you have is the right-click (on the aries editor somewhere between sex menu list and sosa number: Navigate to > Spouse
Ah, I never thought of that - thank you!

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 17:11:18 »
Switching to spouse: the most direct way you have is the right-click (on the aries editor somewhere between sex menu list and sosa number: Navigate to > Spouse,  or else you can use the navigator view.

I've just noticed that this option isn't always available. I can only seem to get it to appear in the context menu if the individual is active in the dynamic tree. Is that expected?

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re : Usability suggestions: Aries Editor
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 20:21:27 »
Regardless of the dynnamic tree, the context meny for an entity works fine in Aries. Right-clicking between sex box and ID number.

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Re : Usability suggestions: Aries Editor
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 20:43:44 »
Regardless of the dynnamic tree, the context meny for an entity works fine in Aries. Right-clicking between sex box and ID number.

I must be doing something wrong since it doesn't always appear - see attached. This person has a spouse and marriage event but there's no 'navigate' option.

EDIT I've just noticed, sometimes the context menu is 'Actions for Name' other times it's 'Actions for Individuals' (with navigation option) but I can't figure out why these two different menus appear when clicking in the same area.

EDIT2: If I select or double-click someone in the entity table it always shows 'actions for name'. If I make that person active in dynamic tree it shows 'actions for indi'. However, if I navigate back and forward using the navigation arrows it always shows '...for indi' if it has already done so. Seems like a bug?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 20:58:54 by Paul »

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re : Usability suggestions: Aries Editor
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2019, 05:23:47 »
If you use the context menu from the entity table, the context is the field being selected.
If Name is selected, the context menu (even the one from Aries) will title "...for name". If "Id" is selected form instance, the context menu will title "...for Indi".
I will see if I can fix this.

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2019, 07:45:45 »
Ah I see, having just Aries open the context menu is always "..for indi" as expected. Again, not a major problem but worth improving if possible :D

Cheers

Paul

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2019, 21:45:54 »
I have fixed this. Tomorrow context menu should be on entity.

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2019, 07:29:37 »
Great, thanks, works perfectly.

Where can I find the changelog for Ancestris daily version BTW?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 07:50:24 by Paul »

Online Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
Re : Re: Usability suggestions: Aries Editor
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2019, 14:03:40 »
Where can I find the changelog for Ancestris daily version BTW?
I'm afraid there is no such of list.
There was a nabble site with all commits : http://en.ancestris.org/index.php?title=Contribute#Commits_Mailing_List
but it is closed now.

Zurga

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Re : Re: Usability suggestions: Aries Editor
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2019, 14:31:21 »
I'm afraid there is no such of list.
In that case, is there some other way to see what has changed - maybe add a very brief summary to the update dialog??

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2019, 13:40:42 »
Just noticed (as it's not something that happens regularly!) that the individual's name at the top of Aries editor isn't automatically updated when the name is changed. Even after saving, I have to navigate away then return to see it updated.

Latest daily version 10.0.10023 on Linux.