Ancestris Support > ENGLISH

It is getting impossible to use Ancestris

<< < (2/3) > >>

Zurga:
Hi,

If you want use another version of Java :
- First install all the version of Java you want on your computer.
- Define the most recent version as default one for all your others applications.
- Go to the installation directory of Ancestris.
- Open the "ancestris.conf" file that you can find in the "etc" directory in Ancestris installation
- Uncomment the "jdkhome" variable and put the directory of your Java installation
- Save, launch Ancestris.

By the way, most of users have only Java 8 on their computers.
It is relatively rare to have an user with a post 8 version. Basically, they are more "geek" than others users.
Java 9, 10 or 11 have no free public releases. You have to check an alternative JDK and not the Oracle one.
I think, but it is only my opinion than we have more users that don't use the program due to the need to install Java explicitly than users that have trouble with Java version.

Regards,
Zurga

mde:
I downloaded the daily build and installed it and it appears on the start menu. However, when I try and run it the initialisation screen appears but the disappears without the program starting.

I have checked and Java 10 is what is installed on my brand new Linux Mint setup. I tried to follow instructions online as to how to install Java 8 but just get error messages after typing in all the commands:
http://tipsonubuntu.com/2016/07/31/install-oracle-java-8-9-ubuntu-16-04-linux-mint-18/

I also tried the instructions on this page and got the same problem:
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/install-oracle-java-8-in-ubuntu-via-ppa.html

Zurga:
Hi,

If you don't have Java 8 somewhere on your computer, it is useless to launch Ancestris : it's won't work.

You don't need to "install" Java 8. you can just unzip / untar a jdk or jre bundle : https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html#x64_linux

After that, modify the ancestris.conf to point the variable "jdkhome" to the directory where you unzip Java 8.

And this should work correctly.

Zurga

mde:
Obviously, that is why I am trying to install Java 10 (which is what comes as standard now with Linux Mint) and downgrade to Java 8. I presume if I do that it will work. Can you explain how to do that?

Asking me to " modify the ancestris.conf to point the variable "jdkhome" is like telling me to give a speech in French ...

Zurga:
Hi,

Sorry for my bad English.

I will try to explain again.

You can use a JDK or a JRE without any installation.
Just download the JDK corresponding of your Operating System from Oracle or Adoptopenjdk.
Unzip the content of the JDK in one directory.
Go to Ancestris installation, look for the "ancestris.conf" file located in "etc" directory.
Remove the first character of line 18 (beginning with #jdkhome= ) to use this variable in launching sequence.
Replace the path between double quote with the path to your Java unzipped directory.

This should work.

Zurga

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version