Ancestris Support > ENGLISH

It is getting impossible to use Ancestris

(1/3) > >>

mde:
Hello:

I have been using Ancestris for about a year on a Linux system and am generally happy. However, I recently upgraded to the newest version of Linux Mint and consequently need to reinstall Ancestris. For various reasons this now seems almost impossible.

Firstly, according to the installation page I must not have the most recent version of Java running but the out of date 1.8. This is a serious security risk:
https://www.ophtek.com/important-update-java/

I am also wondering why a full release of 10.0 has never been made and why it is only available in the "Daily Build". I want to use the features of this version but I also want Ancestris to be properly installed with an icon on the start menu,

Thanks,

M!

Zurga:
Hi,

There is no "security risk" with the use of Java 8.

You can have some risks if you use Java 8 in web application, but Ancestris is not a web application.
No-one can use any "security breach" with this application.
The link you indicate leads to an obsolete 2014 article.
No browser accept to launch Java applet now.

We are planning to release the 0.10 version of Ancestris as new public version. There is some delays due to the infrastructure used actually.

Regards,
Zurga

mde:
Why do you not use the most up to date Java? Everything I have read says it is a big mistake not to have the most up to date version of a program, especially Java.

Obviously, Ancestris is not online. However, all my other programs which are online will be using whatever Java I have installed.

Zurga:
Hi,

--- Quote from: mde on March 20, 2019, 08:38:01 ---Why do you not use the most up to date Java? Everything I have read says it is a big mistake not to have the most up to date version of a program, especially Java.

Obviously, Ancestris is not online. However, all my other programs which are online will be using whatever Java I have installed.

--- End quote ---
You can always use a separate installation of Java for Ancestris.

We don't use the last version of Java (Java 11 by the way and not 10) because Oracle has changed a lot of things in Java, including the license terms and funding.
Actually, Java 8 is still updated by Oracle for the security breach, not Java 9 nor Java 10. ( https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html public update until December 2020)
Oracle has also changed and modularized Java and didn't release Netbeans corresponding to the last versions of Java.
Ancestris is based on Netbeans (basically Ancestris is a bunch of Netbeans plug-ins).
The first stable version of Netbeans for Java 11 has been release in January 2019 : https://jaxenter.com/apache-netbeans-10-0-jdk-11-154014.html
We have lot of work to do to upgrade Ancestris to last version of Java, we work on it, but we couldn't say when the work will be done, we are a small team of volunteer.

So until then, Java 8 is our only option.

Regards,
Zurga

mde:
I see your problem. For me the difficulty is that I am not a geek and I have no clue how to have two different versions of Java running on my computer at once. As soon as you introduce complications like this the average user just doesn't use your program. For every one person like me who will ask more and try and make it work there will be twenty who don't bother and use some other program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version