Author Topic: GEDCOM Specification  (Read 8078 times)

Offline TuxfordC

• VIP
    • View Profile
GEDCOM Specification
« on: April 25, 2018, 06:13:15 »
Have been reading the development history of gedcom. Am a bit confused! Ancestris complies with the gedcom specification - but which one? Gedcom 5.5 is about 20 years old, with 5.5.1 more recent,  possibly used by some although I read that it has not been approved.

Which version  does Ancestris consider as the standard?

Gordon.

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
  • Pep den a dle heuilh e Donkadur
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
Re: GEDCOM Specification
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 06:55:28 »
Hello Gordon,

Have been reading the development history of gedcom. Am a bit confused! Ancestris complies with the gedcom specification - but which one? Gedcom 5.5 is about 20 years old, with 5.5.1 more recent,  possibly used by some although I read that it has not been approved.
Both ;-)

Which version  does Ancestris consider as the standard?
Use the one you want. I suppose you run Ancestris v. 0.10, so open your genealogy, then from the main menu : File - Properties, then "next", "next", to go on step 3 "Data encoding". Once there, you have an option "Possibility to enter email addresses, and/or etc...." ( ) yes / ( ) no. If you choose "no", you will have gedcom specs 5.5, if you choose "yes", you will have gedcom specs 5.5.1.
Hope that helps. Francois
Met ’drokfen ket evit teñzorioù va Frankiz !

Offline TuxfordC

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 08:23:05 »
Hello Francois,  Yes and no to your reply  If I am working separately from any other person, then it does not matter which version of gedcom I am using. But, if I want to exchange data files with other people - for example,  I have a cousin in London also researching the family, then we should both be using the same specification.

In reading the Ancestris Help, I see references about Ancestris using the gedcom specification - but which one?  The Wiki tells me that 5.5
although old is still the standard.  Gedcom X and version 6.0 have been suggested but not yet approved.  Where does 5.5.1  live?  Is it the
approved standard for Ancestris, or are we using 5.5 as the reference standard.  Personally, I have no preference but, as you know, I am looking at Ancestris Help files and consider that they should state which gedcom version is correct at present.
Regards,
Gordon.

Offline oops66

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 10:48:18 »
Hello Gordon and François
Just for information, I think the best way is to select the gedcom 5.5.1 (for now) , by this way you can add (for example) some www tag (and it is useful). For me Char UTF-8 is also better, and for places, I use all zones, even if I do not use, right now, the Paroisse one's.
Code: [Select]
With Jedit
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5.1
2 FORM Lineage-Linked
1 CHAR UTF-8
1 LANG French
1 PLAC
2 FORM Lieudit, Commune, Code_INSEE, Code_Postal, Département, Région, Pays, Paroisse
MX18 Continuum & Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Ancestris V 0.10.0.xxxx

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 20:17:04 »
Hello Gordon,
Hello Francois,  Yes and no to your reply  If I am working separately from any other person, then it does not matter which version of gedcom I am using. But, if I want to exchange data files with other people - for example,  I have a cousin in London also researching the family, then we should both be using the same specification.
First you should tell your cousin to use Ancestris. That way you would be sure there won't be any data lost. Second, if  he is using another genealogy program, he will loose some of your data. Ancestris is one of the two genealogy programs (the second was GenJ) which is totally compliant with the gedcom specs (5.5 and 5.5.1) and which respect  those specs 100%.
In reading the Ancestris Help, I see references about Ancestris using the gedcom specification - but which one?  The Wiki tells me that 5.5
although old is still the standard.  Gedcom X and version 6.0 have been suggested but not yet approved.  Where does 5.5.1  live?  Is it the
approved standard for Ancestris, or are we using 5.5 as the reference standard.  Personally, I have no preference but, as you know, I am looking at Ancestris Help files and consider that they should state which gedcom version is correct at present.
As I said, both are correct, but I would suggest to choose gedcom 5.5. I myself have my genealogy with gedcom 5.5 standard, but I guess that, at least in France, many people use the 5.5.1 standard. Best regards. Francois

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 04:42:10 »
Hi,
Just for information, I think the best way is to select the gedcom 5.5.1 (for now) , by this way you can add (for example) some www tag (and it is useful). For me Char UTF-8 is also better, and for places, I use all zones, even if I do not use, right now, the Paroisse one's.
Yes, but as Gordon want to exchange his data, he has to be sure his data will match the ones of his relatives. So the best choice imho is to go to gedcom 5.5. That way those "new" tags as www, email, etc.. can be treated as personal tags as "_WWW" and they have better chances not to be lost when other people will import his gedcom. Just my two cents ;-)
Francois

Offline oops66

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 11:54:35 »
Hello François,
Maybe, so perhaps some tests can be done before to adjust the settings. But personally my choose is now the 5.5.1 specification.
Have a good evening.
Ancestris V 0.10.0.xxxx

Offline TuxfordC

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re : GEDCOM Specification
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 21:41:30 »
Hello Francois and oops66,
Thank you for the replies.  From what you both write it is apparent that there is a difference of opinion about GEDCOM.  Because I am very much a beginner with Ancestris I will probably do some tests with both 5.5 and 5.5.1 and determine if the differences are enough to give me any problems.
Thanks, Gordon.

Offline oops66

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Re : GEDCOM Specification
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 16:57:38 »
Hi François et TuxfordC
Just for information (an other point of view):
Why All Genealogy Apps Should Support GEDCOM 5.5.1
http://genealogytools.com/why-all-genealogy-apps-should-support-gedcom-5-5-1/
(in summary: first: If UTF-8 is used then the standard must be 5.5.1 , etc.)

http://fire-eggs.github.io/gedcom_55_vs_551.html

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 17:11:32 by oops66 »
Ancestris V 0.10.0.xxxx