Author Topic: Dates on the final/printed pedigree  (Read 7247 times)

Offline mde

• VIP
    • View Profile
Dates on the final/printed pedigree
« on: March 13, 2018, 17:01:49 »
I have a question about making dates appear on the final pedigree. I have many subjects who were born pre-1864 (beginning of Irish civil registration) or pre-1845 (beginning of British). For many I have  baptism. Is is possible for these subjects to show baptism instead of birth? Also for some I have a year of birth worked out on the basis of the death certificate. It doesn't seem to be possible to write 'c. 1840' or 'circa 1840' but simply to put in the year. Is it possible to somehow indicate that this is not an exact date?

I also want the address to show on the final pedigree. As it is now the box is there but blank. Is there something I need to do to activate it?

Thanks!

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
  • Pep den a dle heuilh e Donkadur
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
Re: Dates on the final/printed pedigree
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 17:05:54 »
Hello,
Can you explain what you mean with "pedigree" in your message. Do you want the date and place of baptism to be displayed in the tree view? somewhere else? If it's in the treeview (dynamic tree), it's easy. Best regards, Francois
Met ’drokfen ket evit teñzorioù va Frankiz !

Offline mde

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 17:21:25 »
I am looking at the Dynamic Tree and editing from that like you showed me. The occupation box is filled out so I can see it. I have filled out 'Residence' with the Cygnus editor but the field appears blank.

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 18:23:07 »
Hi,
It's very simple, it's because the blueprint you use doesn't show the residence. This afternoon, I added a video related to "how to customize a blueprint". The blueprints, Ancestris is shipped with, are made by users of Ancestris. Ancestris is based on the principle "users helping users", so additional blueprints are available on the wiki (I guess only the french one, but of course it's free download). We are pleased to receive blueprints made by people to add them to the downloadable blueprints package.

About the videos, as I said, there are today 5 on line, but I will do others only if I have feedback about them. If it's useful I will add more if time permits.
Francois

Offline mde

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 18:15:10 »
That's great I will have a look and get back to you ...

I have some connected too. When the pedigree that is ready to be printed, it is very large. I don't have a printer at home and in any case want to bring it to a print shop and get it printed on a huge A1 or A2 piece of paper. What I want to print is something that looks how it is in Dynamic Tree where I see everyone at once. I go to Reports but there is nothing to select that looks like this. How do I make a pdf (or other form of file) that I can bring to the print shop?

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 07:00:09 »
That's great I will have a look and get back to you ...
Give me feedback on them. Useful? Need to be improved? Create a new video on which subject?

Dynamic Tree where I see everyone at once. I go to Reports but there is nothing to select that looks like this. How do I make a pdf (or other form of file) that I can bring to the print shop?
Take a look to the All-in-one-chart report. It has not been updated since a long time, but it should do the trick. Francois

Offline mde

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 17:56:36 »
Thanks. It is very helpful to do things like that. With this particular one I would say perhaps start easiest and go harder. For example, the address field in that video does not say anything for JFK. So how to make 1200 Pennslyvania Avenue appear? Then how to add D.C., USA to that. When you are doing this latter bit you need to say a bit more about the grammar of the code. You just show how to add one or two fields but I get pretty worried by all the things I don't know there, It would be helpful to say a bit more. Thanks!

I will try 'all-in-one' but it doesn't look like a traditional predigree to me but some sort of chart. I really just want the old fashioned all the descendants of X or all the predecessors of Z.

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 06:08:10 »
OK, I will try to create a new video about that. I've waited a little bit, because our developers are changing different things about entering location data. Francois

Offline mde

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 10:57:39 »
I tried all-in-one and it doesn't appear in the traditional way. Apart from anything else it makes the pedigree not a good shape for printing on A1 or A2. It is also coloured which will come out badly printed black and white. Is there no way to make a simple output of the Dynamic Tree view to PDF?

Also, going back to those dates: how do I get baptism date to be printed instead of birth date for pre-1864 (Ireland) or 1845 (Great Britain) dates? Because of the way church records are kept I have no birth or death dates for the earlier period but do have baptism or burial dates. As it is now I have pedigrees where there are individuals with almost no dates because if there is no birth date nothing is dsplayed. How to get a baptism date displayed if there is no birth date? Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:03:38 by mde »

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 20:47:22 »
I tried all-in-one and it doesn't appear in the traditional way. Apart from anything else it makes the pedigree not a good shape for printing on A1 or A2. It is also coloured which will come out badly printed black and white. Is there no way to make a simple output of the Dynamic Tree view to PDF?
On the dynamic tree, you have a little icon which represents a camera. Its tooltip is "Screenshot". Click on it. Then select "Selected area (limited to memory size)". Resize the little green area you have on the miniature of the tree view to the size you want to capture. Once done, select capture target (x) File. Give the name of the file and voilà.

Also, going back to those dates: how do I get baptism date to be printed instead of birth date for pre-1864 (Ireland) or 1845 (Great Britain) dates? Because of the way church records are kept I have no birth or death dates for the earlier period but do have baptism or burial dates. As it is now I have pedigrees where there are individuals with almost no dates because if there is no birth date nothing is dsplayed. How to get a baptism date displayed if there is no birth date? Thanks.
As I said in a previous message, it's easy.  The solution is the blueprint you use for the dynamic tree. I've made a video about that. Give a look on the english wiki. Also I've made a change to the english wiki to add a link to the blueprints archive. Give a look to the download section. In the future we will add a possibility to install automatically new blueprints instead of having to do it manually. If it's not clear enough, I can do another video to explain the whole process, but I will do that, only if people ask for it. Hope that helps. Francois

P.S. what I explain above, is for Ancestris v. 0.10, not 0.9

Offline mde

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 14:43:49 »
On the dynamic tree, you have a little icon which represents a camera. Its tooltip is "Screenshot". Click on it. Then select "Selected area (limited to memory size)". Resize the little green area you have on the miniature of the tree view to the size you want to capture. Once done, select capture target (x) File. Give the name of the file and voilà.

This roughly works. There is a slight problem with the occupation of one subject being too long so the line of the box obscures it. I looked at this video:
http://www.ancestris.org/dl/pub/users/Fm/video/getting_started_4.avi

It tells me how to make the box bigger. I have worked out to choose 'simple' if I want a more classic look. How to get rid of boxes completely for a more classical look?

Also, I have looked at the videos but cannot see one which explains how to substitute baptism details for birth details for certain subjects only in a family tree.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 15:22:03 by mde »