Author Topic: Data lost?  (Read 6913 times)

Offline Lynn2

• VIP
    • View Profile
Data lost?
« on: July 30, 2014, 15:17:14 »
After trying and failing to get several other apps to work on my Vista (I know, but I'm not here to defend my OS :) ) computer, I was excited to find Ancestris and thought it was a great solution. I entered a few people, saved all my work, made a backup, shut it down and restarted it, and everything seemed fine. So I spent the next few hours entering information, and even saved a backup copy of the .ged file before I turned everything off for the night.

This morning I open the app to find only the first few items I entered are still there, and the specially-named backup file is gone, not even in the recycle bin. I can't find all the other data anywhere. No one else has access to this computer, and the .ged file is Windows timestamped at the correct time that I stopped working.

Please, someone tell me this is a DEU (defective end user) issue? And that it's recoverable? I was entering info as I was scanning old photos and doing research on who/when/where they were, so I'm now starting over from scratch if the info wasn't saved somewhere by Ancestris.

Thanks in advance for any ideas -

Lynn

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
  • Pep den a dle heuilh e Donkadur
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
Re : Data lost?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 17:48:04 »
Hi Lynn2
Can you check where your xxx.ged file is on your computer. You should find several files, named xxxxx_20140730-112659.ged with your xxxx.ged file. All xxxxx_20140730-hhmmss.ged are automatic backup files. I do not know Vista, but I'm sure there will be people who could give you more information about location of files. IMHO, you can't lose data, specially if you saved backup copies of your ged file.
Now, check your table view, you should find all the persons you entered. It's possible that the treeview gives you a few people, it's just because it is centered on someone who has few descendants and ascendants, but the table view should give you all your data. Double click on someone in the Table view, you should see your treeview change accordingly.
Give me the version you run : Ancestris v 0.7 or 0.8? L8r, Francois

Met ’drokfen ket evit teñzorioù va Frankiz !

Offline Lynn2

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Data lost?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 22:45:31 »
Thank you for your quick response!

I know what folder the .ged files are in, and the "backups" are there. But each of the backups were timestamped earlier than the final version, and when I checked, none of them had all my data. I'm curious, would Ancestris just keep making backup after backup after backup forever, until or unless I noticed them and cleaned out the folder?

I've literally gone through every view option I can find in the app, and it only has the first six people who I entered.

I'm using Ancestris v.7. It sounds like I need to start over, and maybe export my data to some other format daily until I'm comfortable that it won't happen again.

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
  • Pep den a dle heuilh e Donkadur
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 07:19:22 »
Hello Lynn2,
I've never heard of such problem. never. Ancestris makes backups according to the settings you decided. Check the config view, fourth tab (see file attached - Capture.png). Here on the screenview, I decide to have always ten backups. Each time you save your work, a backup is created. Check the third tab - Data (see screen capture Capture-1.png), don't forget to turn on the option "automatically commmit changes" it will help you. The screen captures are made using Ancestris b v0.8 as I run it for my genealogy, but it should be the same with 0.7.
If you don't mind, send me your .ged file, I'm gonna try to add data and see if something is wrong with it. My mail is "francoisATancestrisDOTorg". Francois
Met ’drokfen ket evit teñzorioù va Frankiz !

Offline Daniel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 22:46:00 »
Hello Lynn2,

The backup created by ancestris are just a copy of your .ged file before updating it when you close or save your work. As François says there is a préférence to set the number of backups kept.

have you noticed wether a red circle icon appears at the lower right corner of ancestris main window when you are trying to save your file? If so please send us your log file (supportAtancestrisDOTorg)

In your first post you said
specially-named backup file is gone
. How have you named this backup file?

regards,

Daniel