Ancestris Support > ENGLISH

converting Access Database to Gedcom

(1/2) > >>

Andy B:
Has anyone converted an MS Access database to a gedcom format. If so could you help me convert mine please. I watched a YouTube by Fredric Lapeyre from Ancestris streamed in May of 2021 in which he said he had done it, so it is possible.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=728poLdQZCM ..    I have 15 years work in the database and really don't want to start from scratch ;D   Many thanks

Zurga:
It's always possible to convert from one format to another.
But, Access is a generic database. Converting it needs some programming and data-mining to check the current definition of the database scheme to create the correct translation program.

How this base has been created ?

Zurga

Andy B:
As i built the database from scratch it's inner workings are all known to me, so mining it should not be a problem, have already done that for a mapping program and graphical data display software. Just never built a gedcom before :(

Zurga:
GEDCOM file is basically a hierarchical file.
Each line is composed by a hierarchical level then a tag then a value

You can find the complete description of the 5.5.1 GEDCOM File here : https://gedcom.io/specifications/ged551.pdf

You can see it as an XML or JSON file where the delimiters are replaced by increasing level number.

For example, this type of thing :
 "indi" : {
                "id" : I001,
                "Name" : {
                                "SURN" : Durand,
                                "GIVN" : John
                               }
                 "Birt" : {
                             "Date" : 16 Nov 1800,
                             "Plac" : London, United Kingdom
                            }
                 }

This can be translated in GEDCOM as :
0 @I001@ INDI
1 NAME John /Durand/
2 SURN Durand
2 GIVN John
1 BIRT
2 DATE 16 NOV 1800
2 PLAC London, United Kingdom

The GEDCOM file has a header to describe what is in and how it is done and a trailer to close the file (0 TRLR )

Zurga

Andy B:
Thank you. I'll have a look at the link you sent and see what i can do with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version