Ancestris Support > ENGLISH

GEDCOM Specification

(1/2) > >>

TuxfordC:
Have been reading the development history of gedcom. Am a bit confused! Ancestris complies with the gedcom specification - but which one? Gedcom 5.5 is about 20 years old, with 5.5.1 more recent,  possibly used by some although I read that it has not been approved.

Which version  does Ancestris consider as the standard?

Gordon.

arvernes:
Hello Gordon,

--- Quote from: TuxfordC on April 25, 2018, 06:13:15 ---Have been reading the development history of gedcom. Am a bit confused! Ancestris complies with the gedcom specification - but which one? Gedcom 5.5 is about 20 years old, with 5.5.1 more recent,  possibly used by some although I read that it has not been approved.
--- End quote ---
Both ;-)

--- Quote ---Which version  does Ancestris consider as the standard?
--- End quote ---
Use the one you want. I suppose you run Ancestris v. 0.10, so open your genealogy, then from the main menu : File - Properties, then "next", "next", to go on step 3 "Data encoding". Once there, you have an option "Possibility to enter email addresses, and/or etc...." ( ) yes / ( ) no. If you choose "no", you will have gedcom specs 5.5, if you choose "yes", you will have gedcom specs 5.5.1.
Hope that helps. Francois

TuxfordC:
Hello Francois,  Yes and no to your reply  If I am working separately from any other person, then it does not matter which version of gedcom I am using. But, if I want to exchange data files with other people - for example,  I have a cousin in London also researching the family, then we should both be using the same specification.

In reading the Ancestris Help, I see references about Ancestris using the gedcom specification - but which one?  The Wiki tells me that 5.5
although old is still the standard.  Gedcom X and version 6.0 have been suggested but not yet approved.  Where does 5.5.1  live?  Is it the
approved standard for Ancestris, or are we using 5.5 as the reference standard.  Personally, I have no preference but, as you know, I am looking at Ancestris Help files and consider that they should state which gedcom version is correct at present.
Regards,
Gordon.

oops66:
Hello Gordon and François
Just for information, I think the best way is to select the gedcom 5.5.1 (for now) , by this way you can add (for example) some www tag (and it is useful). For me Char UTF-8 is also better, and for places, I use all zones, even if I do not use, right now, the Paroisse one's.

--- Code: ---With Jedit
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5.1
2 FORM Lineage-Linked
1 CHAR UTF-8
1 LANG French
1 PLAC
2 FORM Lieudit, Commune, Code_INSEE, Code_Postal, Département, Région, Pays, Paroisse

--- End code ---

arvernes:
Hello Gordon,

--- Quote from: TuxfordC on April 25, 2018, 08:23:05 ---Hello Francois,  Yes and no to your reply  If I am working separately from any other person, then it does not matter which version of gedcom I am using. But, if I want to exchange data files with other people - for example,  I have a cousin in London also researching the family, then we should both be using the same specification.
--- End quote ---
First you should tell your cousin to use Ancestris. That way you would be sure there won't be any data lost. Second, if  he is using another genealogy program, he will loose some of your data. Ancestris is one of the two genealogy programs (the second was GenJ) which is totally compliant with the gedcom specs (5.5 and 5.5.1) and which respect  those specs 100%.

--- Quote ---In reading the Ancestris Help, I see references about Ancestris using the gedcom specification - but which one?  The Wiki tells me that 5.5
although old is still the standard.  Gedcom X and version 6.0 have been suggested but not yet approved.  Where does 5.5.1  live?  Is it the
approved standard for Ancestris, or are we using 5.5 as the reference standard.  Personally, I have no preference but, as you know, I am looking at Ancestris Help files and consider that they should state which gedcom version is correct at present.
--- End quote ---
As I said, both are correct, but I would suggest to choose gedcom 5.5. I myself have my genealogy with gedcom 5.5 standard, but I guess that, at least in France, many people use the 5.5.1 standard. Best regards. Francois

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version