Author Topic: Dialog Display Issue  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
Dialog Display Issue
« on: December 18, 2019, 13:04:24 »
When dragging any dialog around within ancestris (eg Preferences, Configure Display, Notes etc), it judders very badly. I haven't noticed this before so I wonder if it's a recent update or maybe an update to OpenJDK that's causing it (although It's not a system wide issue, it's confined to Ancestris)?

Cheers

Paul

Online Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
Re : Dialog Display Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 15:23:58 »
You have the list of recent commits in the update part of the forum.
As far as I know, we don't have touched anything that is directly related to windows management.

Could you indicate the version of jdk you use ?

Zurga

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Dialog Display Issue
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 16:14:30 »
It's openjdk 11.0.5 2019-10-15 on Linux Mint 19.2 64 bit.

I've tried recording a gif but it doesn't show up well. The dialogs 'wobble', it's almost like they are trying to snap to certain positions when moved. I'll have a root around, perhaps it's something to do with the window manager itself...

Cheers

Paul

Online Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
Re : Dialog Display Issue
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 17:49:34 »
It could be related to the memory usage.
If you are in upper limit of what you have allocated to Java, it can have trouble with repaint of windows.
Besides this, Java uses only the memory you have authorized, so the whole computer can work great for the others applications.

Do you have graph windows open ?
How many Gigabytes did you allocate to Ancestris ?

Zurga

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 21:29:55 »
I've allocated 4gb for Ancestris out of 12gb in total and no graph windows open - it's a reasonably powerful desktop PC not a low spec laptop and all other apps behave as expected.  I've checked all the window manager settings, turned off compositing etc but the problem persists.

OK I've found the problem, it's the JTattoo themes. Selecting any of them causes the same issue, switching to 'standard' resolves the problem.

I've been using the 'textured' theme since installing Ancestris without any problems, maybe a recent update to OpenJDK is causing some sort of conflict? It's really bad, dialogs jump around all over the place when being dragged. I'll stick to 'standard' for now but hopefully this will give you some clue as to where the problem lies.

Regards,

Paul

Online Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 22:29:56 »
Thanks for your information.

I will look if something can be done for it.

Zurga
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:48:09 by Zurga »

Online Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 23:35:41 »
I have looked at the code.
There is nothing I can do.
We didn't change anything of the official distribution of this look (same for others look by the way).

Zurga

Online Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 23:53:34 »
In fact, there is something I am able to do : update the library from the official site.
It seems in the library history that an update in September has enabled the support for Java 9.
I hope it will correct your troubles.

Zurga

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 12:07:49 »
Many thanks, that has solved the problem - good find!  :)

Regards,

Paul

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 09:40:54 »
I'm not sure if it's related to this change but fonts are not displaying properly, they have the fuzzy purple pixellated effect again as mentioned in this thread: https://forum.ancestris.org/index.php?topic=2461.msg5128#msg5128

If I change to 'Standard' look and feel the fonts look ok but are not smoothed. If I change to Nimbus the fonts in Aries editor appear in different sizes (for example in the items listed in the 'Events' tab) and thr dividing lines in the table views are not visible.

As per that earlier post, I've edited /etc/environment and tried all the anti-aliasing options from this page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Java_Runtime_Environment_fonts but none of them fix the problem this time.

Paul
Ancestris version:  10.0.10076
Java:  11.0.5+10-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu1.118.04 - /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64
System:  Linux - 5.0.0-37-generic - paul
User directory  /home/paul/.ancestris/trunk

Online Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 13:46:53 »
The jTattoo library should affect only jTattoo look and feel.
If you have the trouble on others look and feel, it seems related to others elements.
Did you update Java recently ?

Zurga

Offline Paul

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 14:28:14 »
Did you update Java recently ?
I did mention an update to OpenJDK but I've just checked and the last one was back in October so I don't think it's that. I'll keep digging!

regards

Paul