Author Topic: Adding godparents  (Read 4836 times)

Offline r_mueller

• VIP
    • View Profile
Adding godparents
« on: January 09, 2019, 21:12:46 »
Hello,

I'm new to Ancestris but have used several other programs.

Currently I am working on data, which keeps all families of my village in on "genealogy". In Germany we call it a "Ortsfamilienbuch".

My main task at the moment is adding godparents (the GEDCOM tag is _GODP or _GODT) to each individuals baptism.
Is there a way in Ancestris to mark it as "godparents". I've started to add a note for the baptism event. Is this the right way?

Any help is very much appreciated,
Reinhold

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Généalogie personnelle et logiciel gratuit Ancestris
Re : Adding godparents
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 17:13:01 »
Hello Reinhold,

Adding godparents relationships with people in Gedcom (or Ancestris) consists in adding a RELA tag between them. You do this in Ancesrtris using the Cygnus editor, in the bottom of the screen of the godchild. You click the "chain" icon, choose the event, associate the godparent individual. That's it.

Using specific home made tags is possible, using the gedcom editor, but not recommended. It will not be understood by most genealogy software.

Best regards,
Frederic

Offline r_mueller

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Adding godparents
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 17:33:23 »
Hi Frederic,

thanks for your answer and sorry for my delay.

In most of my cases I want to add the manes of the godparents just as text. Many of them have no direct relation to my village. Is it possible to create a new GEDCOM Tag GOPD related to the person?

Thanks and best regards,
Reinhold

Offline FredericL

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • Généalogie personnelle et logiciel gratuit Ancestris
Re: Adding godparents
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 21:08:02 »
Yes, in which case you should use the gedcom editor which can add personalised tags "_GOPD", again, not recommended but you do as you like.