Author Topic: Multiple spouses  (Read 6320 times)

Offline TuxfordC

• VIP
    • View Profile
Multiple spouses
« on: April 21, 2018, 00:58:16 »
Greetings to all.  Am a very new user running Version .10 beta on MX-Linux.  Previously using Gramps and only a few problems (fixable) in transferring data to Ancentris.  One query is how to best display persons with multiple spouses.  For example:  A Victorian family where a husband has married again after the early death of his first wife.  The children of both relationships were brought up as a single family.  Been trying, without success as yet,  to show both wives on a single family tree - is this possible ?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 00:59:56 by TuxfordC »

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
  • Pep den a dle heuilh e Donkadur
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
Re: Multiple spouses
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 04:58:51 »
Hello,
Greetings to all.  Am a very new user running Version .10 beta on MX-Linux.  Previously using Gramps and only a few problems (fixable) in transferring data to Ancentris.
It would be interesting to know which problems you encountered, and that way we could improve the Gramps importation code.
  One query is how to best display persons with multiple spouses.  For example:  A Victorian family where a husband has married again after the early death of his first wife.  The children of both relationships were brought up as a single family.
You should not see all children of both families, gathered. For example if a man has got two spouses, you should see for the first marriage the children the couple has got, and if you click on the "+" sign on the right, you should see the children of the second marriage. The fact the children were brought up as a single family is a way of life of that family. The gedcom specifications don't give a specific tag for such a thing. So you have 4 options imho : 1 - you do nothing, 2 - you add a note to both weddings, 3 - you create a relationship between children, 4 - you add a Note to the father (it would be my choice) to say something like "All children of the man were brought up as a single family, were brought up together.
  Been trying, without success as yet,  to show both wives on a single family tree - is this possible ?
It's possible with the Graphical tree report, but it's not dynamic. If you want to see both wives together in the dynamic tree view, it's not yet possible. It's a request and it could be added in the future ;-)
Hope that helps. Francois
Met ’drokfen ket evit teñzorioù va Frankiz !

Offline TuxfordC

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 23:28:50 »
It would be interesting to know which problems you encountered, and that way we could improve the Gramps importation code.

The problems were mainly from changes in the Gramps structure and coding. I did not have copies of the older Gramps programs and the
current version could not open the data files.

I can work with the present method of displaying multiple spouses and as you suggest, will use Notes to detail the relationships. Am now
considering the best way to deal with a child born out of wedlock and brought up by his grandparents as a member of their immediate family,

Thank you for the reply.
Gordon.

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
  • Pep den a dle heuilh e Donkadur
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 04:00:24 »
The problems were mainly from changes in the Gramps structure and coding. I did not have copies of the older Gramps programs and the current version could not open the data files.
If you know someone who has gedcom files created by Gramps, I would like to have such samples to improve the importation and fix process. That could help former gramps users who want to migrate to Ancestris and that way correct their data.
Am now considering the best way to deal with a child born out of wedlock and brought up by his grandparents as a member of their immediate family,
According to the gedcom specifications, you have two options by using the pedigree tag you can add to the family link of an individual.:
foster = indicates child was included in a foster or guardian family.
sealing = indicates child was sealed to parents other than birth parents.
Best regards, Francois
Met ’drokfen ket evit teñzorioù va Frankiz !

Offline TuxfordC

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 06:51:50 »
Francois,   I can probably help you with some Gedcom files from Gramps. May take a few days to assemble them. As a newcomer my view is that although Gramps uses Ged, it overall does not/cannot save as much data as Ancestris.

Gordon.

Offline marty1mm

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 11:27:22 »
Hello, has this been now included, and is is it now possible to display multiple spouses? In my family history, unfortunately, this has occurred several times, and I want to include and display on the Graphical Tree, all relevant spouses. Thanks

Offline Zurga

• VIP
  • Supernatural Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 13:06:46 »
Sorry, no, the graphical tree can't display multiple spouse.
You can see them in the graph view or in the graphic ascending and descending multi-generation report.

Zurga