Author Topic: Some small problems  (Read 4542 times)

Offline mde

• VIP
    • View Profile
Some small problems
« on: April 03, 2018, 16:27:57 »
I am hoping to print a pedigree for a birthday on Friday but I have a few glitches I cannot solve:
- Is there anyway if I made a spelling mistake is a name (Millltownpass with three ls - easy to do) to change all of them at once or must I go through each instance?
- I am using the screenshot method suggested to make a printable file. The problem with this is that I have a tree where a key person married twice. How to make BOTH his marriages visible at once so the tree is complete?
- Pure pedanticness: how to make the months appear in full rather than as abbreviations (which seem to me a little ugly).
- How to allow more characters for occupation? I have some subjects with three occupations. There is space in the boxes as they stand for the full text but it cuts off after a certain number of characters mid-word.
- Also, I have looked at all the videos but still cannot see where it tells me how to make baptismals details rather than birth ones visible for all subjects before a particular date (i.e. the one when civil registratuon started in the UK and Ireland).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 16:30:02 by mde »

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
  • Pep den a dle heuilh e Donkadur
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
Re: Some small problems
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 17:56:02 »
Hi,
I am hoping to print a pedigree for a birthday on Friday but I have a few glitches I cannot solve:
- Is there anyway if I made a spelling mistake is a name (Millltownpass with three ls - easy to do) to change all of them at once or must I go through each instance?
It's easy. Open the gedcom editor. Click in the gedcom editor on a line which contains the mistake. Change the name appropriately. Once done you will have just below an option which says : ( ) Change all xxxx occurences. Check that little box and voila. Of course, before doing that : HAVE A BACKUP OF YOUR GEDCOM FILE ;-)

- I am using the screenshot method suggested to make a printable file. The problem with this is that I have a tree where a key person married twice. How to make BOTH his marriages visible at once so the tree is complete?
Using that method you can't but using the All-in-one-chart report as I said some days ago, it's ok.
- Pure pedanticness: how to make the months appear in full rather than as abbreviations (which seem to me a little ugly).
Hmmmm, don't know. I have to test.
- How to allow more characters for occupation? I have some subjects with three occupations. There is space in the boxes as they stand for the full text but it cuts off after a certain number of characters mid-word.
If someone has more than one occupation you have to enter several times the occupation tag. You are not allowed to enter many occupations on one line only according to the gedcom specifications.
- Also, I have looked at all the videos but still cannot see where it tells me how to make baptismals details rather than birth ones visible for all subjects before a particular date (i.e. the one when civil registratuon started in the UK and Ireland).
Of course I've not made it yet. ;-)
As I said, if I have feedback about them, I will record more.
Hope that helps. Francois
Met ’drokfen ket evit teñzorioù va Frankiz !

Offline mde

• VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Some small problems
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 18:14:34 »
Using that method you can't but using the All-in-one-chart report as I said some days ago, it's ok.

Everything is okay except this. I really don't like all in one. It mixes the generations around and looks like a flow chart. Is there nothing that keeps everyone of the same generation at the same level? Space is no problem (I will print on A1 or A2 sheets).