Ancestris Support > ENGLISH

Import placelist ?

(1/1)

ljhelbo:
I have imported my gedcom to Ancestris and now I have installed the geographic view plugin. The problem is howver, that I now have to enter lat/long for all the places  :-[

But I do have a CSV-list with all parishes here in Denmark with lat/long. Is there any way to import this list to Ancestris?

arvernes:
Hi,
When you loaded your gedcom file for the first time, did you "open" it, or did you "import" it? It would be a good idea to import it, if this gedcom comes from another genealogy program. We have importation modules that fix different problems generated by other genealogy programs.
Something else: if your lat/long are in your original gedcom they will be kept and you should be able to see them, ONLY if they are at the right places in your gedcom file - gedcom specifications speaking -
Something else : if you fire up the geo module you will be asked if you want to update your locations by searching on the internet.
I do not know if this helps.
I've asked Frederic, the author of the geo view to add a possibility to import beside the search on the internet, a csv local list of locations. It's now on his todo list ;-)
Francois

ljhelbo:
I have been digging a bit more into it.  ;)
The problem is that the gedcom comes from Legacy, which has its own system for places. In the main part of the gedcom, you only have something like this:

1 BIRT
2 DATE 14 Sep 1952
2 PLAC Roskilde, Sømme, Roskilde, Danmark

But then at the end, you have a series of place definiitions like this:

0 _PLAC_DEFN
1 PLAC Roskilde, Sømme, Roskilde, Danmark
2 ABBR Roskilde, Sømme, Roskilde, Danmark
2 MAP
3 LATI N55.6023483333333
3 LONG E12.1490047222222
2 _RESOLVED 1

which is off course not recognized, no matter if I open or import  :(

arvernes:
Hi Lars,

--- Quote from: ljhelbo on September 03, 2017, 16:38:50 ---I have been digging a bit more into it.  ;)
--- End quote ---
Great

--- Quote ---The problem is that the gedcom comes from Legacy, which has its own system for places. In the main part of the gedcom, you only have something like this:
1 BIRT
2 DATE 14 Sep 1952
2 PLAC Roskilde, Sømme, Roskilde, Danmark

But then at the end, you have a series of place definiitions like this:
0 _PLAC_DEFN
1 PLAC Roskilde, Sømme, Roskilde, Danmark
2 ABBR Roskilde, Sømme, Roskilde, Danmark
2 MAP
3 LATI N55.6023483333333
3 LONG E12.1490047222222
2 _RESOLVED 1
which is off course not recognized, no matter if I open or import  :(

--- End quote ---
Yeap, because we don't have an import plugin for Legacy, but I'm gonna ask Frédéric who has written most of all import plugins.
I suppose if he agree to write a specific plugin for Legacy, he will be able to add such a function to add the lat. and long. parameters for each places that match each _PLAC_DEFN tag.

Maybe we can add a function to the plugin to add those lat. and long. info for each place.
Francois

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version