Author Topic: Pointing to Files/Documents in local drive.  (Read 6543 times)

Offline ardy

• VIP
    • View Profile
Pointing to Files/Documents in local drive.
« on: April 18, 2016, 15:24:13 »
New User,
is there a way I can point tp files and documents in my local drive.  It is much like Photos.  This is to just point to it not necessarily view it in Ancestris....  By double clicking the program uses the the OS properties of the extension and if it recognizes the extension, it will open it with designated program.

Ardy

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
  • Pep den a dle heuilh e Donkadur
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
Re: Pointing to Files/Documents in local drive.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 18:05:29 »
Hello,
I'm not sure I understand your question... You want to point to documents, photos, etc... Give Ancestris the right path to those documents, and those paths will be written in your gedcom file. If you want to see a document/photo, just right click on it, choose "open" and it will open the document/photo.
In my gedcom file, all documents are pointing that way. This is an example (I use Linux) :
3 FILE documents/misc/plan_cadastral_les_echarneaux_la_vigliere_les_rallieres.pdf
Sorry if I'm off topic. Francois
Met ’drokfen ket evit teñzorioù va Frankiz !

Offline ardy

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 21:03:32 »
Thanks For Reply,
I am using Windows OS, and have installed the latest version.  The only file type I can add external files are in Gallery Tab and are Photos,  I haven't been able to attach any other type in any of the available tabs...... The note Tab only allows me to do embedded and needs to be written in the interface.

Yes you are right the gedcom file has the path to the photo,  But I haven't been able to do the same with other type (i.e *.txt, *.pdf etc) from the interface......

Ardy
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 21:05:41 by ardy »

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 21:23:46 »
yes, you can add a pdf file if you want. When the files browser is opened, choose to see "All files", instead of just "Images files". Then choose the file you want, and click OK. The file will be added to the event you want.
Once done, you won't be able to open it from the "internal" viewer, but a right click on it from the gedcom editor for example, will open it without any problem.
Something you must know: this editor you use, the Extended Editor which is the default editorn will be replaced by the "simple editor" which is almost completed. It will be the default editor when 0.9 is released.
If you have requests about it, feel free to post them in the mailing list, it's faster. Francois

Offline ardy

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 22:51:12 »
Thanks for quick Reply

I was able to add it under the Gallery Tab, which is good......But there is no right click option as you described.

Thanks

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 07:32:51 »
Hello,
As I said in my previous post, you can't see a .doc, a .pdf file thru the internal viewer of that editor, but you can view it, using the gedcom editor (data publisher). I use to have two tabs, one is the simple editor (it will be the default editor in the upcoming 0.9 version), and the other one is the data publisher (gedcom editor). So switch to the gedcom editor, right click on the name of your document file, and choose "Open ...".
Hope that helps. Francois

Offline ardy

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 17:17:30 »
Thanks,

Found it........

Ardy

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 07:25:51 »
Hello,
An information : the simple editor is now named : Cygnus Editor
the extended editor is named : Aries Editor.
Regards, Francois