Author Topic: Change role and merge people  (Read 5966 times)

Robby

Change role and merge people
« on: September 22, 2015, 20:02:34 »
Hi,

Ancestris looks very promising. I'm trying to find to functions.
a) How do I change switch the role of the parents? Father should become the mother and visa versa.
b) How can I merge 2 persons?

Thanks for any help.
Robby

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
  • Pep den a dle heuilh e Donkadur
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
Re: Change role and merge people
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 20:41:04 »
Hi,
For question #1, try to change the gender of the father from male to female, and of the mother too, from female to male. Save your mods. Check the result.

About #2, I don't think there is a function to merge two persons only, but there is a tool to merge two gedcom files.
If you want to merge two persons, I guess it's because two persons may represent the same child of a couple. If so, it's simple. Simply add child #2 to familty of child #1. Delete chlid #1. This method is available only if you can delete without any lost child #1.

Of course, as usual, try those changes with a backup of your gedcom file.
A tip to know: Ancestris create a backup of your gedcom file, each time you save changes you may have done. The number of backups is a parameter in the config menu.
Hope that helps. Maybe someone else will have a better answer. Francois
Met ’drokfen ket evit teñzorioù va Frankiz !

Robby

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 06:21:31 »
Hi Francois,

Changing the gender is no problem but the role remains the same.

Merging two people happens frequently when you collect information and it's not sure where to fit it in. The family name may be written differently in different sources. You build up to separate persons with all sorts of information linked to it and later on there is proof these persons are actually one. Adding both children to the same father won't merge all info. When you delete one person all information coupled to that person will be lost. The function to merge people is a basic function of all genealogy software I know of. But Ancestris is developing so I'll guess it's a matter of time. 

Offline arvernes

• Administrator
  • Pep den a dle heuilh e Donkadur
    • View Profile
    • Arvernes web site
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 07:25:08 »
Hello,
Yeap, you are right about the gender. To change the gender is only one of the two points to change. There are two tags to change in the family record, the HUSB and WIFE tags. I've reported that issue to one of the developers. Francois
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:50:13 by arvernes »
Met ’drokfen ket evit teñzorioù va Frankiz !

Robby

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 13:08:23 »
Thanks!