Ancestris Support > ENGLISH

Suggestion - Improve English Translation

(1/4) > >>

duarte.framos:
Hello everyone, I have mentioned this to Francois before, but I have been thinking about it a little more.

I have recently been working on the Portuguese translation of Ancestris 0.8 Beta, and while doing so I have bumped into some English UI text that I think could use some improvements. Nothing too big, just some occasional typos, inconsistencies, or some tool-tips and help text that look incomplete or could be better explained.
For example I think I saw a few occurrences on "Ancestis" instead of "Ancestris", you have a mix of "gedcom" "Gedcom" "GEDCOM" and even "GedCom" which for consistency sake should all be "GEDCOM" (if you would approve of this), there is a "Save ~As" instead of "Save As" etc.. Stuff that could easily be corrected with a "simple find-and-replace" anyone with computer skills and Trancestris could do, leaving more time for the developers to do the actual lot of work I am sure they already have.

Now I understand this is not an easy thing for a mere non-coding mortal like me to achieve, I've been told I needed access to the sources, and find the correct "Bundle.properties" files and edit them, so I was thinking of a way to make this easy and simple for every one:

1 - How hard would it be to add a new language for translation?

2 - If the previous is easy: Could this language be named something like "English improvements" or "English changes" or something along those lines? Since I believe all new translations start out as the standard English it would be relatively easy for anyone with Trancestris to make small corrections to the existing English texts, then:

3 - How hard would it be for the devs to receive the uploaded new texts through Trancestris like they already do, and match them against existing English UI and review it to approve/disapprove the introduced changes.

4 - If the previous is doable: How hard would it then be find and merge those changes from the translation to the corresponding Bundle.properties files? or if that is too hard

5 - Just simply use the new text strings from the "English Improvements" translation when Ancestris is set to use English instead of the original ones, doing so automatically and transparently to the user.

Now I as I said I am no coder, so I have no idea how hard all this is, if I am dreaming out loud and this is too complex/not worth the trouble I'll just shut up and leave you alone.  :-X
But like a true Open Source Community Project this looked to me like something that would benefit everyone in the community, both developers, by leveraging some work to the community and users that benefit from a better UI. Maybe even have some native English speaker volunteer help with this, I am Portuguese and I believe most people here are French right?

So what do you think?  :)

arvernes:
Hi,
you have another way to achieve what you want to do. Use Trancestris and ask to translate from English to English. This will create a file named Ancestris_Bundles_en.zip
Of course it's important to validate each sentence of the subdirectory you're working on using Trancestris. Second, as the english properties file you're working on, will be the new source file for other translators, it's important to be very careful with the mods you want to apply.
Third : it's great to help us  ;) Thanks. Francois

Warning: Added on april 23rd, 2018: it is no longer possible to translate english to english using Trancestris. See the message below.

duarte.framos:
Wow that sounds exactly like what I meant, guess it is easier than I thought.  :)
Yup I would be very carefull not to do just some "blind Find and replace" which would be prone to errors and possibly break things.

Ok, so if I wanted to submit some proposals right now all I had to do was let Trancestris download a new bundle and make some changes and submit, then you would review the changes on your end to see if you approve of them?

Would you approve of my proposed less drastic changes like unifying the use of "GEDCOM" word and fix that "File>Save ~As" on main Ancestris window and fixing the "Ancestis"
Where would be the best place to ask these questions about changing the UI text? Forum? This post right here? Open up a new post for every change? or perhaps the IRC?

Thanks

arvernes:
Trancestris is your friend for what you wanna do  ;). Yes
About the proposals, I agree yes, The best place to submit and chat, as long as I'm there, is the IRC. Francois

Daniel:
Hello,

--- Quote from: duarte.framos on September 08, 2013, 20:21:17 ---... and fix that "File>Save ~As"

--- End quote ---

This is not a typo but a feature. the ~ character is used just before the accelerator key used to fire this action from keyboard.

Daniel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version